Friday, August 5, 2011

Sycamore Car Show - July 31, 2011

Here we are in downtown Sycamore, Illinois. Norm III wanted Norm & Jules to come to the show to see some of the cars he has been working on for the past year. Norm III works for a local restoration place called RPM Restorations.

This is Norm III's bike. He did the paint on it at home rather than at work. All together there were around 10 cars & 3 motorcycles in the show that Norm III had painted or worked on.

It was hotter than the hinges on the gates of the devil's house the day of the show!


This is the '63 Corvette I was talking about at the Vintage Camper Rally. I am so special that Norm III let me sit in the car! I could just imagine tearing down the road in this beauty.










Although there were over 700 cars and motorcycles entered, I think this was one of my favorite cars. Norm said it wouldn't be a good choice for pulling vintage campers. I told him I didn't care, I don't own any campers.







Brock and his family attended too. Brock was on a mission to find his all time favorite car too with Jules (aka Ama) in close pursuit.







Brock even wore his hot rod shirt for the occasion.










This is the car that Norm III drove to the show. It belongs to a collector and client of RPM. Not really what I had expected Norm III to be driving, but a cool car anyhow.





There were some really nice rides at this show...

Although it is beautiful, I think this one should have been black. When I said that, Norm told me I better watch out. He didn't want me to offend the guys that worked on it or the people that owned it.


I didn't want to offend anyone either, but I still think it would look better black.





Chicago PD never looked so good!









This was one of Norm's favorite cars, a 1960 Chevy. There were a couple of them in the show. I liked the black one better, but we already had that discussion.







As I was getting my picture taken with all the cars some people started to realize that I was a celebrity. With celebrity come requests for photos and autographs. I have to accommodate my fans. I didn't get her name, but hello again!




Although I would like to say that I am the celebrity, I also know that there is a difference between celebrity and legend. This is Mike, the legend. He's the proprietor of the fine establishment behind us.

Hink's bar sponsored the motorcycle part of the car show.




This was the street in front of Hink's.









I'm pretty sure Brock liked this part of the show the best. Sitting on Uncle Norm's motorcycle with him.











This was Jules' favorite car in the show. A 1956 Ford Crown Victoria.









I have to admit, it is a great looking car. This would be a perfect car for towing vintage campers to rallies.



Did I mention that it was hotter than the hinges on the gates of h--- during the show?  I started feeling a bit light headed. It was a good thing Brock had brought his stroller with. Jules gave me some water too.




This was Jason's favorite car in the show.











The fun thing about this car show is that there were more than just cars, trucks and motorcycles. They even had golf carts!  I liked the RPM golf cart best. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the flames painted on the front (plus it was black).





Nice looking Pontiac!











Even Herbie the Love Bug made a guest appearance.




Normally Brock isn't a big fan of having water poured on his head. But this was a HOT day! We took a break from the sun & the heat and found a shade tree to sit under for a little while.






Brock isn't a big fan of sitting for long. So we played while the others rested.







I found that this Fiat is just about the right size for me. Norm said it looked like a toy car. I told him that I wasn't going to take any more of his vertically challenged jokes. When he asked what I was going to do about it, I told Jules. That shut him right down! Hah!





Near the far end of the display area was a gorgeous little truck. It was my favorite truck in the show.








Not only was the owner of this great looking truck nice enough to suggest that Norm & I get our picture taken INSIDE his truck but he even gave Norm his hat to wear! Then he gave everyone a slice of watermelon!

The owner  of the truck suggested this shot. Watching Norm crawl under the bumper to get between the bumper & grill was worth the price of admission! Maybe if he was more vertically challenged it wouldn't have been so funny.


I thought they had bumper height limits in this state? And who uses their truck as a canopy?







I know I said earlier that I had found my favorite truck. Well this was my favorite trailer!








Brock suggested that we go exploring alleys for a while because there was a lot of shade and cool breezes in them. That was when we all realized that we would never see all 700 plus entries. We called it a day at that point.





I forgot to mention. The '63 Corvette at the beginning won a trophy as did a few other entries by RPM. These were just a few of RPM's entries.

A good car show all around!

Until next time,

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment