Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sailing is WAY COOL! - June 2012

Disclaimer: Yes, I posted a few of these pictures on my facebook page. But, like Paul Harvey used to say, here is "the rest of the story..."

I have been boating a few times in my life, in a canoe, paddle boat, motorboat, rowboat, pontoon boat (a favorite) and even a surfboard, but I haven't been sailing for years! Norm, however, even with all of the time he spent in the Navy, had NEVER been sailing!

I knew a lot about sailing, mostly from books, but I did crew a ship in the World's Cup way back when in my younger days. I fancy myself as a bit of an expert compared to Norm. The owner of the boat, Dave, on the other hand knew a whole lot more than I did, which really surprised me!

They listen well though as I was giving them instructions on how to rig the boat to sail. Another surprise for me was the way Norm could tie knots. I never knew that about him. I guess his Navy time did have some benefits.

I'm not totally convinced though. Dave only had him tie one knot, repeatedly... I think the knot that Norm was tying he learned from his Dad when he was a kid.

That is Dave in the stern and Norm amidships. (For you landlubbers stern - back, midships - middle.)



Norm was having a hard time grasping the fact that I told him he had to untangle that pile of line. He said it wasn't needed. After Dave and I both told him that there wasn't any line on a sailboat that wasn't needed he untangled it.

I think Norm got used to being a boss in his career and forgot how to be a lackey. Norm ended up being just a deckhand and got used to his role pretty quick.







Jules said we had to play nice or she wasn't going.

See, we can get along...











Okey dokey, all rigged and ready for the water.

Hey Dave, the water is the other way!!








Ok, I've got the best seat on the boat and we're ready to go.









Dave was a great host and captain. He made sure to explain a lot to us about sailing. I think the most important thing was how the boom got its name.

Clearly it wasn't a rocket scientist that named it...




At one point I told Norm to tighten the jib and made the mistake of not having Jules or Dave hear me. The next thing I know I'm tangled in the anchor line and Norm is asking Dave if he should "release the anchor".

Luckily Dave started asking why and Jules immediately asked Norm "Where is Travis?"

Catastrophe averted. Jules said if we acted up again one of us wasn't going to make it back to shore. Norm and I left it at that.

Back safe where I belong.

The only thing missing was Big Bill. It seems that BB gets a tad seasick on vessels larger than his bathtub at home. I told him we would work on it later.









I asked Dave if we could anchor for a while and if we could go swimming in the middle of the lake. Dave, I learned isn't fond of swimming.




Captain Dave


That about wraps up our sunny afternoon adventure. I'd tell you what lake we were on but I'm worried that the worldwide attention would make the lake too crowded.

Needless to say though, if you happen to see us out on the lake, pass-by close and I'll yell a hearty AHOY MATEY!


Now you know,

"the rest of the story"

Travis







No comments:

Post a Comment