Thursday, October 27, 2011

Vintage Trailer Rally - Woodstock, IL - Oct 6-9, 2011


Woodstock Rally 2011
Whew, what a fantastic rally. BJ really knows how to throw a party! To top it off we had the best weather that we have ever had at Woodstock. Beautiful, sunny, warm days, perfectly cool nights, a light breeze and a great group of friends. I can't think of a better way to close out the rally season.



Because the weather was so great I slept in my tent rather than in the trailer. I had my watch bug on guard just in case any critters came around though.





As I mentioned, old friends. The naughty gnomes of Northern Indiana were in attendance. I felt bad though because the one is still in a cast from an injury he suffered at the rally in South Bend, so he didn't get around like he usually does.


BJ even had a movie screen this year. It was nearly as big as Bee Bee, her camper. I love movies that have trailers in them. We watched a movie about a tooth fairy (with Kirsti Alley) whose home base was a bunch of Airstreams.




(This was taken Sunday morning, but fit better here)

During the day everyone pretty much did whatever. Nothing planned. Some went into town shopping at garage sales and antique stores. I tended to hang out at the campground, drink coffee and chat with whomever was around.
The evenings however were much different!



Movie one night, the infamous progressive cocktail party another and the pot luck dinner the third.

The progressive cocktail party was a much tamer event this year. The campers were set up in "pods" which is a group of two or more campers. Rather than having a cocktail at every camper (I think there were 17) we had a beverage at each pod (six) along with snacks. It made the following morning much more pleasant..




I said snacks right? How about pulled pork sandwiches at one stop! They were fantastic and were awarded a special recognition as the best snacks.




Each pod was organized with a separate theme. My favorite was the Indiana coalition's Hawaiian theme.

Everyone got lei-ed when they arrived. I wasn't sure what all the laughing was about with this sign, since I don't speak Hawaiian, but it was a big hit.




Where do they make all this food? These campers aren't that big.






I was having a blast when I sort of got on BJ's nerves. She wasn't a big fan of having ice put down the back of her shirt. I apologized. Then I put the ice down someone else's shirt.






I'm not sure what is up with Roger though. Ever since the southern Illinois rally when he won the trailer trash king of queens contest he has had a bunch of the guys wearing ladies clothing. Woodstock was no different when he handed out grass skirts and coconut shell bras to a few of the guys. That's Bill behind me in his party clothes.


At the "Italian" pod they had cannoli! OK, maybe I should explain the Italian reference. The Italians, as they are lovingly referred to at the rallies, are two sisters and a cousin, all of Italian descent, from Illinois. They are Lori, Dori & Natalie. They always camp as a group with their husbands (Scott, Joe & Jeff) and are a lot of fun!



Everyone was checking out a photo album on Lori's laptop.



While going from pod to pod we also got to peek inside everyone's campers. It is a quieter version of the show & shine at some other rallies.














Sometimes you just had to wait in line.




Saturday morning was special too. I was given a new tent! Jules' friend from high school, Ann, had it. She said she wasn't going to use it anymore and asked if I would like to have it. Of course I said yes!
Now I keep one in each of the campers so I don't have to worry about forgetting it if we take Bob or Walter. I also got a new flamingo yard decoration.



The pot luck dinner was exceptional! I stuffed myself with all kinds of good eats. I don't think I have been to a pot luck dinner, at a rally, where there wasn't more food than everyone could eat.
Everyone is extremely generous.




After dinner is BJ's (getting famous) garage sale grab bag. She looks around all year long for different things and brings them to the Woodstock rally. She then has everyone put their name and camper on a piece of paper. When she draws your name out of the hat you pick something from the table. She only has one rule; EVERYTHING must go!




Saturday night is the big group campfire too.













Sunday morning is fun, but also a bit sad. The fun is that BJ has coffee, juice and pastries for everyone at her trailer. The sad part is its the last day and after breakfast it is time to pack up and head home.





But before its time to go we get to sit and enjoy each others company a bit longer, even in our pajamas.








If you would like to see all of the pictures from the rally, here is the link to my album

Enjoy,

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment