Monday, June 15, 2015

Camping Season 2015 is Underway! Marengo Ridge, Illinois

 
 
 Ahhhh. I love camping. A peaceful time of relaxing and visiting with friends. Well, at least its advertised that way in the brochures.

I was able to introduce Vito to our way of camping too. Vito was a bit apprehensive and said where he is from going on a trip is usually a one way ride.

It didn't make any sense to me either, but I have learned some things with Vito are better left unexplained.




This was the campsite for the weekend. We stayed at a little place called Marengo Ridge. Since it doesn't have a shower house one must be prepared, or be stinky for the weekend.





I chose prepared.

Luckily Vito stood guard outside the door whilst I was occupied. No peeking allowed.

This was the first rally for Jesus Presley too. He is Elvis' little brother. I know, I'm probably going to get hit by lightening. Notice I am not sitting with him, Vito is.
Jesus Presley came to be because BJ found a guy at a garage sale and wanted him fancied up. Well, between Julia and BJ, Jesus Presley arrived. BJ told Jules, "fancy him up and make him look like Elvis."





He shows up in people's campers unannounced.



Its pretty unnerving.


The turn out for the gathering at Marengo Ridge was small. It reminds me of just camping with a few friends, rather than a rally. Its really a change of pace and quite nice.

We did meet some new folks. Mike, his wife Lesa and Mike's sister Vicky.



Bill and Anna were there too. They were just hiding in the background.

I like Bill's attitude of hiding in plain sight.




Mmmmm. Chicken bites. With a bit of BBQ sauce these were an amazing treat during dinner.


The magic pitcher by Vito was well guarded too.





Vito and I made sure to protect every drop.






Later in the evening we went and visited everyone's camper.

Even Elsa got to walk around with us. Elsa is the GIANORMOUS puppy with Bill. She is only a few months old.









It was nice being able to see how everyone set theirs up without having to wait in line.




See what I mean?

Good food, good friends and coolers full of good beverages. What a great way to spend a weekend.




The last time I saw one of these I remember someone yelling fuzz and we all jumped out the windows. I don't have anything to do with these anymore. The commercials during the 70s and 80s worked for me. You know, the commercials with eggs frying.





There was plenty of wildlife to observe too. This guy was headed toward the outhouse. Honestly, I think he has to start for the outhouse a day before he needs to use it.





Cutie Pie was NOT his name.


I'm fairly sure this one was originally waiting for the other one to return.

I don't know if I would have that kind of patience.

There was a lot of other wildlife too. It just moved a lot faster than I could get the camera ready for.




Saturday morning instead of making breakfast we opted to head into town and have someone else make it for us.

Norm and Jules.




Anna and BJ.




 


Bill and Anna.


 We decided going garage sailing in the area would be a fun thing to try.







While garage sailing a few had to use a bathroom. What better place than a park with a playground?





I really liked this slide with the castle look.






After garage sailing we decided to play a few rounds of dominoes.

No, those are NOT all of my beers. Only the empty ones are.



Saturday evening what else?

More eats!!

I can honestly say that these guys eat very well for "camping".





I recall, as a youngster, that camping meant going out and catching dinner. We often went to bed hungry. Not anymore thank-you.







A little help here please. I would like a drink of water.









Thank-you.



The drinking fountains in the campground are a bit antique. Cool looking, but a real work-out just to wet your whistle.






Well, that about does it for Marengo Ridge. We had a wonderful time.

Our next camping adventure will be at a place called Horicon Marsh, in Wisconsin. We haven't been there before so it'll be cool seeing new stuff. Or it'll be a nightmare. I can't wait to find out.

Till next visit.

Travis
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment