Saturday, May 19, 2012

Yeah, Camping Again! - Marengo Ridge - May 4-6

Hooray, its camping season again! Well, for everyone it is. For us, camping in 38 degree weather is also normal, but seeing other people in the campground is always a plus.
This year we brought Bob the Burger to Marengo Ridge, but we also brought Jules' bug Vinnie with us. Vinnie never was much for pulling campers, but he is cute, so strong wasn't all that important. Vinnie was going to a new home. (That was why he didn't have his usual flowers all over him.)

Norm & Jules had three cars and only needed two. Mike & Jessica needed to add a car to their family because one of their kids (Noah) was getting his license.

Jules loves Vinnie and really wanted to make sure that he went to a good family and that they would treat him well and take care of him. Mike & Jessica met Jules' requirements.


Okay, enough about cars and stuff, we had to get the campsite set up.

Norm took off to see who else was in the campground while Jules & I were left to set up Bob. Jules was in charge, that is why the carpet and fancy step cover were already set out before I had Bob on the jackstands.

It might also have had something to do with my inability to get stuff out of the car. Have you ever seen how high a Suburban is from the ground? I needed a ladder to get in that thing!

After we had the campsite set up we were ready to catch up to Norm and socialize a bit. Doesn't Jules do a great job setting up the campsite?

I picked the spot for my tent though, right next to the shower/bathroom tent. Its only used in the middle of the night rather than hiking to the outhouse.












As soon as we got to BJ's campsite I ran into Gunther. He met me at the edge of the campsite with a big hug and a tasty beverage. It is especially nice to be greeted so warmly by friends and family.



Yes, that is a purple butterfly on my hat. I was wearing my rendition of a happy hat contest entry, Gunther said he forgot that there was a hat contest the first night.


This is BJ's first rally of the year and it is traditionally very small (the second rally that she hosts is the October rally at Woodstock). Six campers this year for Marengo Ridge.




Just because the group is small doesn't mean we have any less fun, food, and good times as a larger rally.

We have our progressive cocktail party, with snacks, which really is dinner. With a small rally the snacks are more coordinated and it really is more of a meal going camper to camper.

Of course the tasty beverages are a big draw too. However, with the smaller number of participants, nobody really has an opportunity to over indulge. Although Gunther and I try our best every year!

I would normally just say, "Don't ask!" But considering that I am in the shot with Norm & Anna, it eliminates the joke.

This is the inside of Bill & Anna's new (to them) camper. By this time Gunther and I were beginning to succeed so I didn't remember what kind of a camper it is. I asked Norm, he told me I should bring a pen and paper next time. Then he said it was an Avion. The camper was way cool. I thought about cracking a joke about the mirrored headboards. Knowing Anna it would have gone TMI in an instant so I held back.



This is John & Ann. Ann & Julia went to high school together.

Their camper is a Friendship, I think. A terrific name for a vintage camper! They redid the camper themselves. Very talented couple! I haven't quite figured John out yet, but I'm working on it. (That was why I made sure Ann posed with me.)



Me & BJ

If you have never met BJ, you are missing out on one great person! She is our hostess with the mostess at the Marengo Ridge & Woodstock rallies. What a fantastic person!

And she makes a killer lemonade beverage that she pours from the "magic pitcher" into whatever container you happen to be holding. Anytime I am around BJ I make sure I have an empty container available!!



More rabble rousing at Richard & Jeanne's campsite.

Richard won the hat contest with his chicken hat. Norm asked the chicken what he was going to do about the wart on his bottom. I told Norm he should apologize to Richard. He said that they tend to toss barbs back & forth. I told him they shouldn't throw anything at each other and did he ever stop & think about how barb felt getting thrown around. He just looked at me sideways and walked away. I think I made my point. I couldn't find Barb to make sure she was ok though.

The final camper on the walk.


Check it out! What a great gift Norm received from his kids.
Hot fresh popcorn, without the smoke flavoring from the fire.

I have heard a few people make comments to Norm about some of the photographs I have used in my blog. He always tells them it was my fault that a "supposedly" unflattering photograph of someone gets used. I don't really notice I guess. Then, something happened...


I can't believe how big my bottom looks.
Baby's Got Back does come to mind though, "Oh my God Becky..."
 

I must first apologize to everyone that I may have upset with a picture I have used.

This is IT! I had NO intentions of using this picture when I saw it.






BUTT to balance the books so everyone knows that we all, at some point in time, may be the subject of a less than flattering photo, we should all remember one thing... at least they aren't mugshots!


After cruising around the campgrounds and eating very well I might add, we settled in for a campfire and conversation.

I truly enjoy these evenings in the campgrounds. What a peaceful time.



Marengo, IL May 5, 2012


Then, like it was scripted or something, by none other than Alfred Hitchcock (or Stephen King for the younger generation) the moon peeked through the trees. All that was missing was the howling in the distance and rustling nearby.

















Saturday was the pot luck dinner.








I know it has a lot to do with "luck" but not with these campers. I couldn't find ANYTHING I didn't like! They are all fantastic cooks. A meal fit for royalty was had by all.





That is BJ's camper -Bee Bee- behind Joni.
We had visitors too. The rest of the gang was kind enough to allow Joni, Jason, Brock & Heath to attend the pot luck dinner. Heath was just 13 weeks old and Jason had to work so they couldn't camp the weekend with us, but got to stop by for an evening.

They definitely picked the right one!




During the evening campfire Gunther & I decided to lead the group in our favorite Peter, Paul & Mary song, Kumbaya.












Five people & their devices.

 I thought we were doing a fantastic job. But getting everyone to put down their electronic "devices" in order to sing was a huge challenge. Gunther & I just gave up on them at that point.


 


Brock was the youngest with electronics



I told Norm later that Gunther & I felt a bit hurt because nobody would sing with us. He said he was grateful nobody started singing along because if the rest of the group sang as bad as Gunther & I we would have all been kicked out of the campground.



Have I mentioned recently that I think Norm is a chucklehead?



Joni, Heath, Norm & Brock



Ok, so he's a chucklehead...

But with beautiful kids and great looking grandsons he obviously did something right. Or maybe it was all Jules, and Norm has just been taken for a ride...




Sunday morning we had a terrific dutch oven breakfast at BJ's campsite.







The weekend was abruptly ended shortly after breakfast when the skies opened up and dumped a huge amount of rain on us! We ran as fast as we could back to our campsite but were drenched to the skin.


What a fun and great way to end a weekend. Laughing at how silly we looked.



Be sure to keep your powder dry,

Travis.


No comments:

Post a Comment