Monday, May 14, 2012

Catching grief and catching up - May 2012

Ok, so I have been a bit lackadaisical about keeping up with my blog and have been catching a lot of grief about it. I have been VERY BUSY lately, especially since Norm has retired, I just haven't been writing about my adventures as often as my friends would like.

I figured I had better get caught up, even if I did it in snippets instead of chapters. I have a grunch of pictures but will have to post them to my photobucket account for you to see them all. Here are a few of the items that I have been doing. Enjoy.

FAMILY WEEKEND: We spent the day with our grandsons and family before Easter at a park in a nearby town that has a train that circles the property. Since Brock is all about trains it was a perfect day for him.





Even the Easter Bunny gets to ride in style arriving and departing the park on the train.








Chatting up the bunny was fun for Brock but not so for Heath. Heath got a tad unruly right after the shutter snapped. The bunny wanted to unload Heath as fast as Heath wanted to unload the bunny. They were NOT fast friends! 
















Riding the train is what is all about anyhow.

Hanging around isn't half bad either...



BIRTHDAY DINNERS: We also went out to dinner for Jason & Kyle's birthdays. We celebrated at a Mexican place here in DeKalb. They put a crazy hat on the birthday people and sing while a candle melts into your ice cream. It really is a treat (not really for the person having the birthday but a major HA HA for everyone else)!


JW was keeping a close eye on me making sure I didn't get into his ice cream. He doesn't share well when it comes to ice cream. I was just checking to see if it was chocolate.


The guys opened gifts... There is a very special song on this CD that Jason just opened. It has this strange effect on dads. It is "I See Me" by Travis Tritt. (Anyone named Travis is required to be talented.) You can check it out on you tube!


KC & I thought for sure this would get Kyle smashed into a grease spot when Norm saw it.



Who would have thought that Elmo could be such a troublemaker?





Overall a great night.

One small issue though. Does anyone know how to and if felt hats can be sterilized?




WORKING on STUFF:
Starting out

Life may seem like its all fun and party, but I actually have been working too. This is Jason's truck. Its a 1952 Chevrolet, or as I say Chevy. An old friend of mine, Cheech Marin, called his car a chebby. I would prefer to call Jason's truck a chebby too, but as soon as I do someone would be on the news saying I'm making fun of Latinos and I would wake up in a roadside ditch. It is simply that Cheech & Chong were friends of mine and Cheech called his car a chebby.

Anyhow, Norm 3, Jason & I spent a day getting the body ready for paint. Jason already has the frame and drive train ready in another garage. This is sitting on a stubby bodywork frame.

Time to make a mess














Not even big enough for a fifth wheel



I told you it was stubby.














A little customizing and dent removal...


More on the progress later.









MORE STUFF: I also spent some time working on the new vintage camper, Ginger.  Ginger is the 1959 Shasta Airflyte.


When I rewired the lights I needed to run new wires. Its a long story, but I took the windows out to run the wires instead of tearing open the walls.

Norm said I was nuts. Until the lights worked when he plugged them in.





We had to replace the window seals anyhow...

I patched the hole in the floor too, after I took the heater out. No the sink isn't staying.







Overlaid the floor before starting on the tile. Old school tiles, but no asbestos this time around!

With all of the work that I have been doing I think I deserve a break. Maybe some time in a pool after a few tasty beverages.










A little sanding and bodywork on the camper too. Soon, PAINT!!




Let me see, what else....


Oh yeah! MORE STUFF: Working at Ilean.



Since its spring it was time to scrub the lawn chairs.

As you know Jules is very creative and enjoys colorful things. Including lawn chairs...





We planted a few trees and plan on planting more. Every new tree helps the environment you know. Gunther told me that.







Eventually these should grow big enough to block the wind too that was blowing across the yard the last few days.





Norm 3 also planted a couple of lilac bushes. These were a tribute to his mom and his grandmother.







LAST OF THE STUFF:
The last thing that I will mention in this catching up chapter is the day we spent at a local camper dealership, Vacationland. They were having a big spring sale and invited a few of us from the vintage group to bring our campers and set up them up.




Everyone stopping in got to enjoy the open house atmosphere, walk through new and vintage campers and munch on some really good food.





We had a really good time and the folks at Vacationland, especially Joel, were great hosts.







One thing about events like this one, you run into friends and acquaintances that you haven't seen in a long time.

This is my buddy Yogi. We used to spend some long weekends having way to much fun camping and running around. Now, he owns a whole string of campgrounds.

I'll bet that he still is a party animal though.






After the open house we spent the night camping at a friend of BJ's that lived a few miles away. Thanks BJ & Mark!





Well, that should catch me up for a day or so. We have a few events planned right now.

Maybe I'll see you in a campground this year!


I told you I wanted to go swimming. Norm still can't believe that I know HOW to swim.

What a chucklehead.

Just because I'm adorable doesn't mean I'm not athletic.



Stay cool,

Travis




No comments:

Post a Comment