Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Renewed & Refreshed; New Orleans does that to you! (PART 2)


Day 3
First thing in the morning we headed for Café du Monde. A true Nawlins breakfast today.

On the way we saw this guy. I was puzzled,  but not in little pieces. So I asked him what he was looking at.
Now, New Orleans has some folks that do curious things on the street to earn a few dollars.

A lot of them don't talk.

Since he wouldn't answer me, I figured I would get his perspective on the subject.

Nope. Still nothing.

Not seeing a donation bucket we wished him well and continued on our way. I hope he finds whatever it is that he was looking for.

I don't know what was crawling over his shoulder, but I didn't notice it until just now as I was writing. I'm glad it didn't chomp me! Had I spotted it while standing next to him or if Norm had warned me, there would have been a very high pitched scream running away from him. Come to think of it, that is probably why Norm didn't say anything at the time.





We didn't get her name, but like a lot of Nawlins inhabitants....







...you wear or do something different so you get noticed. I really thought her nail polish was spectacular!




I initially thought maybe this guy had some rare affliction that turned him gold. Then I spied his bucket.

I thought he must have liked being gold so I gave him a buck.



Whew, we made it. Café du Monde for a light snack before breakfast, or breakfast, we'll see. Hey, don't judge, its Nawlins. We don't have these back in Illinois.





I noticed that we had a guest so I hopped down and gave him some beignet. He was really happy.





There was a gentleman that was singing around the outside of the café. He was really pretty good and sang the song, "She was only 16" for Jules. I think he was a medium or something. How else would he know that's how old Jules was when she and Norm met?



Jackson Square is filled with talented people.

If you like music, Jackson Square is the place to be early in the day.


After our chicory coffee and beignets we opted to walk around and see what we would see. If you don't like walking, Nawlins will more than likely make you a little bit grumpy. I think we walked between 5 and 10 miles a day without noticing. Just zig-zagging the various streets in the French Quarter. It was great. (Especially since Norm carried me most of the time. My short legs would have slowed us down too much).

The things that UPS driver's have to do (tolerate) while on their routes... Norm was impressed that this guy's route is in the French Quarter. Sweet, yes, but a nightmare for parking and driving that huge truck. Yes, it's the same truck that I posed on the day before yesterday. Only this time he knew I was there.


Guess WHERE this is! That building behind me is...

The police department! Its a good thing Norm didn't work for NOPD. He would have ended his career rounder than I am! I hope he doesn't see this. Or at least when he does I'm not around.

Now do you see why Norm kept going "Bee-do, Bee-do, Bee-do" whenever he saw one. I think NOPD has to have very small officers or very good shoe-horns to get the officers in and out of this car.
I'm sure the folks that ride around in this car are not allowed in the shop next door. I would ask for a bigger car.

Stopped to listen to another group. The various instruments that all the groups use is an amazing treat. Each group has a whole different sound and flavor.
I think the fiddle player was impressed with how fast I could run, spin around and pose for a picture.





Wow, a roommate comes with the place. At no extra charge.



Having walked off our beignets it was time for lunch.

You MUST eat at Muriel's!



Lunch was terrific, but seriously...

Coffee and crème brulee for dessert!

This must be what they serve in heaven.




We actually got a tour of Muriel's, including the séance rooms! A huge thank-you to Denise for the tour!!




The lighting is very cool in the room. However, picture taking has its limitations without the flash.

Think about how many folks got to chat with someone from the other side in this room. That's awesome!



Since Norm always takes my picture with Jules I thought I would take on of them. Heck, if I stay on his good side he might keep picking up all the tabs and I won't have to wash dishes.

The red aura behind them is really what the light in the room looks like.

Denise made sure that we got to get past the red velvet ropes and out onto the balcony too. How cool is this? It overlooks Jackson Square. Do you think Norm would have turned the camera and taken a picture? Nope, but who can blame him when he has Jules as a subject.

Muriel's is haunted and to keep the peace they set a private table for the ghost. That way he doesn't have to make reservations.
I think it also keeps him away from the other guests that actually bring a wallet. I got to sit long enough for a picture, although I wasn't sure I was alone.


We decided to jump on the trolley and head to the outskirts again and wander back toward the center and see if we could find something cool to do.

You ALWAYS can!

I was thinking, 'I could drive this.'

Norm obviously was reading my mind because as soon as I stood up he cleared his throat and just said, DON'T, in that very official kind of voice.

Party pooper.


We found a nice little spot to have a tasty beverage and listen to some music. The guy play the piano/organ for a bit, then hits playback and while the piano/organ plays he picks up a clarinet and accompanies himself. It was sooooo cooool!



I realized something about being vertically challenged. I can dance on tables and nobody gets all rowdy and starts throwing dollars my way. When I told Norm about my thought, I thought he was going to die. He started choking on his drink and gasping. Jules was just laughing at the both of us.

We enjoyed the show and stayed a little longer than planned. It was a great night.


I think I will end PART 2 here. Day 4 and 5 were VERY BUSY and are going to require quite a bit of work to let you all experience the fun. Besides I'm really very rusty at writing. So much so that my fingers are cramping!!

Don't forget... Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to. Norm stole that from me!


Travis




No comments:

Post a Comment